Friday 2 November 2012

Playing games

I think we've declared that Friday afternoons are for playing games.  While some may frown upon us playing board games during "school" time, I dare say they are likely the easiest way to teach many math concepts, without it feeling like teaching. 

This week, we played Earthopoly, which is like Monopoly, but with an eco-conscious feel.  My daughter was eager to play this game, and it was her pick (and Nicholas' suggestion).  I watched her figure out simple stuff I would expect for her grade level - like adding the two dice together.  Then, I saw something I didn't expect - she was able to add up the dollar bills as she paid for the properties she purchased.  This was adding in the hundreds!  How did that happen?

One thing that I found disappointing about today's game was how the competition to win changed the atmosphere around the game.  There was moping when one felt on the short end of the stick.  And I saw decisions put into play solely to block other players' strategies.  We didn't experience that type of behaviour when playing the Farming Game last week.  While the object of both games is to make the most money, it seems that Earthopoly pits players against one another in a way that is simply impossible in the Farming Game.  In the latter, one's decisions impact others minimally, which is why I think it felt less competitive.

What games does your family play that are less competitive or more cooperative? 

No comments:

Post a Comment