Wednesday 12 December 2012

The final frontier

Now that the mitts are safely under the tree, I'm on to the last labour-intensive project.  We have two wee ones in our extended family and I'm making them each a barnyard wall-hanging with knitted animals. This gift is inspired by a project in Creative Play for Your Baby.

I've been knitting animals off and on between other projects, and I'm almost done felting the little chicks - hooray!  To be honest, I needed a break from knitting, so I started on laying out the barnyard scene on paper yesterday.  Today the big box of felt made its way upstairs and I've been chopping it to pieces all night.  I suspect I'll be sewing it up on the weekend - how exciting!


Each barnyard contains:
  • 1 hen
  • 2 sheep
  • 3 pigs
  • 4 people
  • 5 chicks
Later on, ducks can be added to the pond and vegetables can be added to the garden next to the house.

I've created the barnyard animals themselves to encourage parent-child interaction.  So many stories and songs can be shared using the animals - the Three Little Pigs, Little Red Hen, 5 Little Chicks, Baa Baa Black Sheep, Mary Had a Little Lamb...  The animals can also be counted and sorted.  Lastly, each animal has its own little home to make clean-up time a little easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment