Saturday 25 May 2013

How we grow

I clearly remember a year ago about this time, and the feeling of dread that would by causing my stomach to turn into a knot as I stared down a weekend with my husband away.  The thought of what would essentially be two straight weeks with no help during the daytime left me anxious and panicky.  It was not a good place to be.

Fast forward to today.  There wasn't a lot of anxiety to be had, save the moment this evening when I remembered that there still could be another activity later on and that I had best get supper on the table sooner than later.  I'm sure that a lot of it has to do with each of us having another year of life experience under our belts.  The children have had another year to grow their independence muscles.  I've had another year to learn how to relax and enjoy the children.  And I feel like the past year has been an immersion course (for me, at least) in being comfortable with other people's children too.  We truly never stop learning.

It helps when the day is as lovely as today was.  We had a full, but flexible, agenda for today.  After Jaelyn's ball game this morning, we joined in the wind-up celebration of the Arts Festival.  There was too much to see and do, and of course I opted to remember snacks and water instead of the camera, so I can't take you on a visual tour (until after our arrival home).  But I can share that faces were painted (independently), goo was made, dancing was done, storytelling was shared, and ice cream was enjoyed.  We capped it off with some gardening (potatoes, popcorn, watermelon and onions are in - yay!) and Jaelyn set up a lemonade stand.  Astrin dug in the dirt and drew some pictures.  We enjoyed an evening of popcorn and a sister bath.  Everyone is wiped and the house is quiet.





I go to bed tonight with a happy heart, as I realize how we have all grown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment